Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Day at St John Island

My princess and I wanted to have a nice day off on Friday, so we headed to St John Island. It's a cosy little island south of Sentosa, and earlier it was used as a quaranteen for leprosy patients. These days it's a perfect place for day-trips. The beach there has clean water, which is a real treasure near the coasts of Singapore, and white sand. We reached St John after an hour boat ride. That's when the rain started to pour, and it lasted until we headed back to the boat almost 4 hours later. Instead of lazing at the beach, where we should have spent the day swimming and collecting shells, we were freezing under a shelter.


At least I saw a beautiful monitor lizard that day. Unfortunately the rain was so heavy, that I didn't dare to risk my camera and shoot a picture. For those who don't know it, monitor lizards belong to the varanidae family, which also includes the komodo dragon.

No comments: